Sunday, April 6, 2014

NashSandyBlog1.doc Sun 06 Apr 14 (Revised)


I am a bassist. This is of course, one of my chosen professions. The other being a business owner.  Now that I am retired from the Chicago Police Department, a great part of my day, any day, is spent either practicing new music, in rehearsals or racing  with equipment in tow to get to my next gig.

No matter what a musician will tell you, the fun and delight of music is not in the lugging of amplifiers, instruments and suitcases. But, all is forgiven when on stage tuned up and ready to rock. And oh, by the way, I have yet to get a good grasp on the jitters that accompany each performance. Some how it just comes with the territory.

Once you get on stage though, the whole thing just seems to come together. Playing with competent musicians helps. Embracing that energy that comes when you are playing the music that you love, with the musicians you admire, and watching the reaction of the faces and bodies of those you have come to entertain is definitely what its all about.

And since I am a bassist, I decided to blog on one of artists that I consider a mentor in my line of work. I am choosing to blog about an artist who could be considered the “First Lady of Bass,”  Ms. Carol Kaye.

Ms. Kaye, according to her biography was born March 24,1935 in  Everett, Washington. Her parents were professional musicians. Carol, herself has played and taught guitar professionally since 1949. She is considered a both a session musician and teacher. Her students include some of today’s bass legends.

She has worked with the likes of  Michel LeGrand, Quincy Jones, Elmer Bernstein, Lalo Schifrin, David Rose, David Grusin, Ernie Freeman, Hugo Montenegro, Leonard Rosenman, John Williams, Alfred & Lionel Newman, as well as The Beach Boys, Phil Spector, The Doors,  the late Richie Valens, Frank and Nancy Sinatra, Leon Russell, Sonny and Cher, Barbara Streisand, Frank Zappa, Tina Turner, Johnny Mathis and the list is endless.

 The story goes that In 1963 when a Fender bassist didn't show up for a record date at Capitol Records, she picked up the Fender bass and grew quickly to be the no. 1 call with record companies, movie & TV film people, commercials (ads), and industrial films.

 According to her biography, beginning in 1969, she wrote her first of many bass tutoring books, "How To Play The Electric Bass" effectively changing the name of Fender Bass to Electric Bass.
Carol has given many seminars all over the USA. She has won numerous awards.  She is also a leader in Electric Bass education.

Several years ago, I had the near privilege of meeting Ms. Kaye in person at  NAMM, the National Association of Music Merchants. Every year NAMM is the place to be if you are in the music industry. Held in California, you can catch some of the best new equipment and instruments; and run into some of the largest names in the industry. I was scheduled to attend the event with a friend of mine, who is also in the business and Carol Kaye was going to be featured.  I missed my flight and missed a tremendous opportunity to see one of my idols in person. 

If it is the last thing I do, I am going to try to meet  and interview the legendary bassist, Carol Kaye. 



References

https://www.carolkaye.com/www/biography/index.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment