Friday, March 21, 2014


I was impressed by entrepreneur Gary Vaynerchuk’s Ted.com  Best of the Web speech entitled, Do What You Love, No Excuses!   With  Gary’s topic  I am reminded of how I was certainly  inspired by the late Randy Pausch’s plea before an audience at Carnegie Mellon  before his own death from cancer several years ago. Pausch’s heartfelt diatribe still resonates in my soul.

Randy also has a video on Ted.com. I was privy however, to have been directed to his full-length speech on YouTube.  His life’s story and discovery still leaves me in tears.

You see, I like motivational speeches, positive spiels that get me thinking and moving.  I seek out motivational speeches that help rid me of self-doubt and negativity. Motivational speeches that direct me to fulfill my life’s passion are always for me just what the doctor ordered. 

For me, these “pep talks” reenergize and reinvigorate my spirit and psyche.  So each time I have encountered Randy Pausch’s message, I just want to thank him for not only having the courage to follow his dreams but to also firmly encouraged the rest of us to return to that child-like sense of wonder so buried underneath the “adult life” each of us has felt compelled to live instead.

But sadly, Randy is no longer with us. This still  makes me  a little unhinged. I loved his message though. I just don’t love the fact that he succumbs to that dreaded disease , cancer.

There is a light at the end of the tunnel in this blog entry, however. Upon reviewing the Best of Ted, I came across another speaker who speaks with Pausch’s message to us with energy, theatrics, humor and a slight bit of vulgarity just to spice everything up.

That person of course is no other than Gary Vaynerchuk.  Gary is a real character. He  is co-founder and CEO of a social media brand consulting agency, video blogger, co-owner and director of operations of a wine retail store. Gary is also an author and public speaker.  Gary says in his own words that  he is “just a guy that loves the hustle, people, wine and the NY Jets.”  His delivery becomes especially kinetic when he talks about the passion he has for his wine. I find his energy when he is talking about this subject, if you will excuse the obvious pun, “intoxicating.”

His enthusiastic motivational spiel of, Do What You Love, No Excuses! on Ted.com returns my spirit to why today I am  taking  risks and pursuing my passions (music, the arts, and multimedia).  And unlike Randy, unfortunately,  Gary is very much alive. But just like Randy Pausch’s message, Gary intuitively knows we have just this one life and we need to stop giving it away doing things we hate just to appear grown up and to return to creating happier lives for ourselves by doing what we love.









References

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Vaynerchuk

http://garyvaynerchuk.com/vip/


No comments:

Post a Comment